A Brief History of St. Mark’s EUB and United Methodist Church
 
In June of 1953, Reverend Robert Copeland accepted an assignment from the Evangelical United Bretheren Church to form a mission church in an area then known as South Hamilton, Ohio. On November 29th, accompanied by his wife Virginia, he conducted his first official service in a parsonage on Fairfield Avenue.
 
The church grew from its charter membership of fourteen; and three months later the parishioners voted, during Sunday services, on a name for the fledgling church. After deciding they wanted a name insspired by the gospel rather than one that merely gave the building’s location, the church was names St. Mark’s Evangelical United Brethren Church.
 
Two years after the church’s charter, on December 11th of 1955, the membership met at their small parsonage and marched to the new church which had been built next door. There, services were held for the first time, in the structure that is the foundation of the current St. Mark’s church.
 
Since that day, the leaders and members of St. Mark’s have envisioned and developed plans for the continual growth of the church. A new sanctuary, classrooms and kitchen were added, then dedicated, in 1965. The United Methodist Church was created in 1968, with the merger of the Methodist Church with the Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) Church. In 1984, St. Mark’s United Methodist Church  approved plans to expand the building. A sanctuary and chancel renovations were completed in 1989. 1991 saw the groundbreaking ceremony for a new educations wing. An expanded sanctuary and narthex were consecrated in 1993.
 
The vision of St. Mark’s continues to grow. Church and Sunday school have been offered since the church’s inception, then a choir was formed, and Bible study groups were added. Keeping the needs of the congregation and community in mind, numerous activities were added over the years. Today’s activities reflect the interests of a diverse parish that includes members from various age groups, cultures, and family structures. St. Mark’s outreach program continues today with live-streamed services, social media, a growing web presence, and mission projects seeking to share the love of Christ throughout the local community and around the world.